Last night Daughter No 1 came home hungry and tired. It had been raining all day and even though she was indoors and dry, the day’s work had got to her.
“I wish I could have a cheese pie , ” she said knowing all too well that I’d take the bait.
And I quickly opened up Margeurite Patten’s “Cookery in Colour” to look for a suitable recipe. Here’s my version of her cheese flan.
- Ingredients for the pastry:
- 100 g plain flour(maida)
- 65 g butter
- 65 g grated cheese
- 1egg yolk
- A pinch of Salt
- A pinch of cayenne pepper ( chilli powder)
- A pinch of Dry mustard powder
- Ingredients for the filling:
- 100 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 100 g grated cheese
- To make the pastry :
- Sieve the flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well
- Add the grated butter and rub till mixture resembles dried breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated cheese and mix well.
- Add the egg yolk and gently bind together till it becomes a ball of dough.
- To make the pie or flan:
- Lightly grease an 8" flan tray or pie dish .
- Roll out the pastry about ½"-1/4 " thick and line the greased flan tray/pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs and whisk in the milk. Add the grated cheese and gently pour into the prepared pie dish.
- Put in the centre of a hot oven ( heated at 150 C ) for 5 mins. Then lower the heat till 120C and allow to cook till set. You can turn the pie dish so that it is evenly browned.
- When the pie is done, it will be firm to the touch or slightly springy when touched.
- Remove from oven and loosen the flan. Cut into wedges and serve.
I personally don’t use flan trays because of previous disasters when the filling ran through. So I prefer using a Pyrex pie dish.
I also used regular Go cheese