Oh yes! There is a winter in Mumbai. Ask the Tibetan Sweater sellers. They come year after year and set up shop near the local railway stations and do brisk business. After my success with the Pumpkin soup, I decided to try some creamy cauliflower soup which is perfect for the cold spell still hovering around Mumbai
Not many people like cauliflower. They find its taste somewhat hard to get used to. They also find it has a strange smell. But this soup with its creamy feel and taste is really hard to resist.
- A cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 2/3 large cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp butter
- A small sprig of coriander
- A pinch of black pepper
- Milk to finish off
What you have to do
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the butter. Add the onion and sauté till pink
- Add the florets and continue sautéing for a minute or so
- Add the stock , the pepper and the coriander and allow to simmer till the cauliflower is soft to the touch.
- Take off heat and allow to cool.
- Blend to a smooth purée.
- Pour back into pot and add milk. Bring to a gentle boil before serving.
This soup is truly delicious and is great with hot toasted and buttered bread or crunchy breadsticks.
You could also try this soup with Broccoli , the green eyed cousin of cauliflower .