With a title like this, you probably wonder what kind of a dish this is. Well, it’s a really easy pasta which looks great, tastes better and is a breeze to make and perfect to make when you are entertaining.
The skill in cooking while entertaining guests is to manage both the conversation and the cooking without conducting the party in your kitchen. The internet is a great cookery resource with recipes available for almost every ingredient you can ask for and in any culinary style . While searching for a decent pasta to go with my largely fishy meal, I found this recipe which I had to majorly tweak only because I found that I didn’t have the main ingredient which was Zucchini. But ever the girl guide, I am never one to despair so went ahead with my plan of making pasta using shell pasta or conchiglie.
Pasta is always a hot favourite and there are very few who dislike it. If you add cheese to this, there is no way it can fail to please.
So what you will need to replicate this is
- 2 cups of uncooked shell pasta or conchiglie.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano (I used a packet of the oregano mix that comes with home delivered pizza)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 200 g fresh cream ( I used Amul)
- 1 tub cheese spread ( I used Amul)
Here’s what I did:
1. I brought some water to boil in a large pot. When the water came to the boil, I added some salt and the pasta and stirred it from time to time t prevent it from sticking. I cooked it for more than 11 mintues because frankly, I don’t like the pasta al dente but prefer it to be slightly softer. I drained off the water and left the pasta covered till later.
2. In a large frying pan, I heated the olive oil and then added the garlic and browned it. I then added the onion and cooked it till the onions became soft. To this I then added the red bell pepper, some salt and dried oregano. I covered it , lowered the heat and allowed it to cook a bit.
3. At this point I stopped cooking and left the dish half cooked till it was dinner time.
4. Just before calling the guests to the table, I heated up the red peppers and garlic , added the cooked conchiglie and gave it a good stir before adding the chopped basil leaves.
5. I then poured in the cream and the cheese spread and stirred it thoroughly making sure that every pasta shell was coated with this creamy cheesy mixture.
6. I poured it onto a flattish dish and served it with hot garlic bread.
Try it – it’s yum a deliciously creamy cheese sauce, crunch red peppers that add a dash of colour, the sharpness of sweet basil and the flavour of oregano….. Shell pasta doesn’t taste any different from any other pasta but the shape makes it easy for the sauce to cling on to….
- How to Make Your Own Italian-Style Food at Home(onegreenplanet.org)
- These 30 Vegetarian Recipes Are So Good, You Might Rethink Meat(lifehack.org)